First off, quickie Calculus: Optimization
So here’s something that we need a solution to:
“What is the maximum sad, blunt truth one can tell another without sounding assholian?”
But unless someone can find a way to quantify assholiness, I guess this problem will remain unsolved for the meantime. Bummer, right?
My point: Calculus is rarely, if ever, helpful.
Unless of course you’re the type of person who’s really interested in determining the minimum cost of a box whose top and bottom bases are squares made up of material which costs 15 cents per square inch, the four rectangular sides made up of materials which costs 10 cents per square inch, and has a fixed volume of 12 cubic inches.
Aaaand speaking of being helpful, this bag lady in Mercury drug store CLEARLY does NOT have helping the environment in mind. I bought this Snickers bar earlier, you see, and she was actually packing it in this small plastic pouch thingy (the kind usually used for medicine tablets) while I put my change away. Of course I told her that there’s no need for it and grabbed my candy bar and receipt. Seriously, it’s not that I bought so many stuff that I will have problem holding them. I could just shove that chocolate in my pocket. There.
Girl, take those non-biodegradable, used-for-medicine-otherwise-useless-for-other-stuff plastic away from me and my one-item purchases.